[Foundation-l] Board statement of responsibility

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat May 17 11:57:04 UTC 2008

"Trustees agree that that, during their terms on the Board and for
three years thereafter, they shall not, in any communications with the
press or other media or any customer, client or supplier of the
Foundation, or any of the Foundation's affiliates, or in discussions
on community mailing lists, blogs, or other community forums,
personally criticize, ridicule or make any statement that personally
disparages or is personally derogatory of the Foundation or its
affiliates or any of their respective directors, trustees, or senior
officers."

That explicitly bans all public criticism. Criticism is good,
criticism is how things improve. Sometimes that criticism has to be
public to be effective - for example, how can we make an informed vote
for board members if we're not allowed to know that they've done
various things wrong during their previous term in office (of course,
I would expect anyone making such accusations to provide evidence to
support them)?