[Foundation-l] Stable versions live on de.wp

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu May 8 10:15:13 UTC 2008

2008/5/8 Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com>:

>  I think Lars calls FlaggedRevs "soft locking" and doesn't want to
>  apply it on a large scale.
>
>  IMHO FlaggedRevs are much different from protection/locking. The
>  purpose of FlaggedRevs is to present the uninitiated audience with a
>  vandalism-free Wikipedia. Applying FlaggedRevs to only a few pages
>  will not achieve that.

I think Lars' worry is (partly) a matter of update rates leading to
locking-through-inertia.

Yes, we can purge through all existing pages and set a flag on them -
indeed, it's an excellent opportunity to do so, and it means that
hopefully all pages will get eyeballed to make them clean.

But! What happens next? If I go off and update a short article (one
which no-one has watchlisted, etc) on de.wp, what mechanism is in
place to flag *that* revision? Is it possible that on non-high-traffic
pages, an "old" revision could remain the newest flagged one for
weeks, months, despite having been superceded?

I can see how this would have the effect of soft-locking - I'd really
like to know how we plan to get round it.

Automatically generated reports of all pages with the most recent edit
"unflagged", sorted by age, perhaps? This'd allow the permitted users
to knock off a few each a day, keep it churning over. The sort of
thing that would appeal to inveterate RC patrollers ;-)

--
- Andrew Gray
 andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk