[Foundation-l] Stable versions live on de.wp

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Thu May 8 09:25:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 1:50 AM, Michael Snow <wikipedia at verizon.net> wrote:
> Lars Aronsson wrote:
>
> > Erik Moeller wrote:
>  >
>  >> Aka hacked up a nice script that shows how many pages have been
>  >> "sighted" (basic vandalism check) on the German Wikipedia:
>  >> http://tools.wikimedia.de/~aka/cgi-bin/reviewcnt.cgi?lang=english
>  >>
>  >> Given that FlaggedRevs has just been live for a day or so, a review
>  >> rate of 4.41% is quite impressive!
>  >>
>  > Wait now.  When FlaggedRevs was first mentioned, the press started
>  > to announce that censorship was being planned for Wikipedia.
>  > This was countered with the explanation that flagging was a more
>  > open regime than page locking.  We no longer have to lock pages on
>  > controversial topics, because we can allow free editing as long as
>  > the non-logged-in majority gets to see the flagged/approved
>  > version.
>  >
>  > Is it really "impressive" to have this new "soft locking"
>  > mechanism applied to a large number of pages?  Wouldn't it be
>  > better to show how few pages were in need of this protection?
>  > And at the same time, to mention how many previously locked pages
>  > have now been unlocked in the name of increased openness?
>  >
>  Yes, I certainly would support removing as much protection/locking as
>  possible from articles where a flagged revision is presented as the default.

I think Lars calls FlaggedRevs "soft locking" and doesn't want to
apply it on a large scale.

IMHO FlaggedRevs are much different from protection/locking. The
purpose of FlaggedRevs is to present the uninitiated audience with a
vandalism-free Wikipedia. Applying FlaggedRevs to only a few pages
will not achieve that.

Magnus