[Foundation-l] Chapter-selected Board seats - brainstorming

Sebastian Moleski sebmol at gmail.com
Thu May 1 13:20:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 3:09 PM, effe iets anders <effeietsanders at gmail.com>
wrote:

> A measure by Financial turnover sounds dangerous to me as that would
> only enthusiast chapters to count everything as money, while the most
> work is done by volunteers generally. I prefer to think in terms of
> volunteers and activities over money.

I find representation solely based on members or funding quite problematic.
The point of chapters is to advance the free sharing of the sum of all
knowledge. It's not to recruit members or funds (both not that hard to do
with a little dedication) for the sake of influence on the foundation's
board. Representation by activities would be interesting although I'm not
sure how one would objectively assess and compare the level of activity
between chapters. Perhaps a scoring system might be an option that accounts
for a multitude of things which would allow chapters to have share of the
vote based on how they decide to fulfill their purpose (e.g. fundraising,
membership, volunteer hours, cooperations, press management, lawsuits,
etc.).

Sebastian