[Foundation-l] Chapter-selected Board seats - brainstorming

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Thu May 1 13:09:17 UTC 2008

2008/5/1, Milos Rancic <millosh op gmail.com>:
> Proportional chapter seats would mean 2 Board members from WM DE :) --
>  which leads us to the same situation like we have with en.wp at the
>  project level. BTW, while I would like to see some WM DE members into
>  the Board, I would like to see in the Board people from some other
>  chapters, too. I think that better idea is to find the best possible
>  people from the chapters by reaching consensus in inter chapter
>  coordination. And I am very sure that chapters are able to make the
>  best possible choices.

That very much depends. Say, we are only taking the number of members
into account, and 50 members = 1 vote (roundoff to above) then we get:

Agentina (50) - 1
Austria (?) - 1
Australia (?) - 1
Switzerland (64) - 2
Czech Republic (?) - 1
Germany (390) - 8
France (105) - 3
Hong Kong (?) - 1
Israel (12) - 1
Italy (168) - 4
Netherlands (80) - 2
Poland (62) - 2
Serbia (40) - 1
Sweden (116) - 3
Taiwan (30) - 1
United Kingdom (5) - 1

Total: 33

and definitely not two german seats :)

Please note that these data are coming from
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters and are generally
outdated by months.

A measure by Financial turnover sounds dangerous to me as that would
only enthusiast chapters to count everything as money, while the most
work is done by volunteers generally. I prefer to think in terms of
volunteers and activities over money.

BR, Lodewijk