[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Mar 13 09:17:44 UTC 2008

Ziko van Dijk wrote:
> Addition: I do not want to sound more harsh than necessary, and I find the
> preliminary council itself a good idea. But the question whether the final
> council will have real power and how it will fit into the system should be a
> prerogative given to the preliminary council in advance.
Not really.  If you look at the various discussions over time on this
issue, you will see that there is no shortage of issues for this Council
to consider.  Not the least of these is how Council Membership will be
determined.  At this time appointment is the only practical alternative
for the Provisional Council; we would hope to have something better for
the Council when it becomes a regular institution.

As much as I agree that the Council should have real power, if in any
way it becomes identified with a power grab it will rapidly become
ineffectual.  The  Provisional Council needs to deal with a wide range
of complex issues for which there is little or no precedent.  It's
dealing with a unique top-10 internet project that has marshalled the
volunteer energies of an enormous assortment of volunteers that
transcend the usual barriers of language, nation and political
philosophy.  Doing it right can have far-reaching influence beyond the
governance of Wikimedia.

Once the Provisional Council is established its most important task will
be to develop the trust of both the Board and Community.

Ec