[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Mar 13 08:32:56 UTC 2008

Ziko van Dijk wrote:
>> way to get the views of the community heard. Whether the board will be
>> bound by the decisions of the council or not (and if they are, in what
>> areas) is one of the details that people disagree on.
>>
> The size of the council would be a detail, but the character (advisory /
> decision-making) is the main question. I do not want an organ that has a
> voice but no responsibility.
That's a reasonable concern.  It's clear that the Board cannot do it
all.  We would want to develop a reasonable division of responsibility
between Board and Council.  Some of the relative responsibilities seem
obvious: The Board would still have essential control over finances,
hardware and legal affairs; the Council would be more concerned with
community matters, and the very broad threads of policy.  What the
Provisional Council needs to establish between the time it is named and
the time it becomes a fully functional council is that it is capable of
responsible decision making in the way it runs its affairs.  Whether it
can should be evident in its September report.

Ec