[Foundation-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 20:51:58 UTC 2008

Mike,

Can you address the point that all content and nearly all policies are
generated and
maintained by this community, and that as a result the community has and
should
continue to have a direct input into the Foundation's view of "what the
world needs
and wants"? Clearly WMF is not a democracy, but an element of
philosophically and
pragmatically motivated responsiveness to the desires of the community has
always
been present. As constituencies go - this particular constituency is
responsible
both for serving and defining all other constituencies, and a poll that
reflects the strong
will of the community should be more or less binding - if for no other
reasons than
the practical. I believe advertising is the right move - but I don't believe
it can be
implemented against the clear will of the Wikimedia community.

Nathan