[Foundation-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Tue Mar 11 20:45:00 UTC 2008

Andrew Whitworth writes:

On Mar 11, 2008, at 11:47 AM, foundation-l-request at lists.wikimedia.org
wrote:

>  I think that the most direct way to measure the communities feelings
> on this issue would be to include referenda about it in the next board
> election. Whoever handles the elections could easily add a handful of
> optional questions to the end of the ballot, about this issue and many
> others on which community opinion data would be valuable.

As someone who was a statistician in another life, I feel compelled to
point out that even this wouldn't necessarily elicit a representative
sample of the community's opinion -- it samples, at best, only that
subset of the community who (a) votes in elections, and (b) would be
willing to offer an opinion in the course of voting in an election.

There are methods of providing more representative sampling, but they
typically require a significant amount of upfront poll design.

What makes this more complicated, though, is the question of whether
Wikimedia should gear its strategies in response to what the
"community" (however defined) wants, as distinct from what the world
needs.  We articulate our primary mission in terms of the world rather
than in terms of the community.  It is not inconceivable that what the
world wants or needs is not entirely the same as what the community
wants. If so, then what?

My own view, as I think is we should serve the world as a whole, of
which the community is an outspoken, well-informed, but still
relatively small subset. (Obviously, I also believe the barriers to
entry to the community should be lowered as much as possible,
consistent with this principle -- in this, I point to the great work
of Andrew Lih in outlining the increasing barriers to entry, due to
expansion of rule sets, for Wikipedians.)

--Mike