[Foundation-l] Concerns for Safety

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 20:16:38 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  It does not follow that because people can't go to a
>  single Wikimania, then no one cares about them.  The
>  organization does care that everyone can to attend a
>  Wikimania in the long run.  This is why it is rotated
>  every year.  Every year's Wikimania will be
>  problematic for some people.  The goal is to not have
>  too much overlap in who has problems from year to
>  year.

I'm not talking here about reasons why people can't go to a wikimania.
There are many reasons why a person might not be able to attend, and
for these there is nothing that can be done by the WMF. This is fine.

I'm mostly talking about the situation I've seen on this list where
people say "I am able to attend Wikimania, but I have some concerns
about it", and the most popular response is "Well, if you have
concerns, then you just shouldn't come". I'm paraphrasing, of course.
Telling people that they shouldn't come, even though they are able,
because they have unanswered concerns is tantamount to the
organization not caring about those concerns.

Again, i'm pointing out the difference between a person who "can't"
go, and a person who is told that they "shouldn't" go.

--Andrew Whitworth