[Foundation-l] Concerns for Safety

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 14:38:10 UTC 2008

--- Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Birgitte SB
> <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >  It does not follow that because people can't go
> to a
> >  single Wikimania, then no one cares about them.
> The
> >  organization does care that everyone can to
> attend a
> >  Wikimania in the long run.  This is why it is
> rotated
> >  every year.  Every year's Wikimania will be
> >  problematic for some people.  The goal is to not
> have
> >  too much overlap in who has problems from year to
> >  year.
>
> I'm not talking here about reasons why people can't
> go to a wikimania.
> There are many reasons why a person might not be
> able to attend, and
> for these there is nothing that can be done by the
> WMF. This is fine.
>
> I'm mostly talking about the situation I've seen on
> this list where
> people say "I am able to attend Wikimania, but I
> have some concerns
> about it", and the most popular response is "Well,
> if you have
> concerns, then you just shouldn't come". I'm
> paraphrasing, of course.
> Telling people that they shouldn't come, even though
> they are able,
> because they have unanswered concerns is tantamount
> to the
> organization not caring about those concerns.
>
> Again, i'm pointing out the difference between a
> person who "can't"
> go, and a person who is told that they "shouldn't"
> go.
>
> --Andrew Whitworth

Answers about the concerns seem to be in the works.
Please don't take random people's comments (including
mine) on list as being from "the organization" and
extrapolate that into the motivation on not caring
about LBGT.

That said if some people are were more comfortable
attending WM07 than they will be in attending WM08 the
reverse is also true for others.  And wait for
official recommendations from the WMF before deciding
you are too uncomfortable to attend.  As some people
have pointed out in Arabic culture some public
affection between men is common and is not seen as
sexual. Still look at the big picture, next year WM09
will have no LBGT issues at all.  Is it really that
horrible to have a LBGT questionable location once
every ten years in the name of diversity? Following
the guidelines (which we do no have yet) to ensure
safety in any foreign culture will make anyone feel
oppressed.  Why should LBGT people be given an
exception to never feel this way?

I obviously do not have to hide that I am a woman in
many Arab countries, but rather I *merely* have to
hide/downplay that I am equal to a man.  It doesn't
change the fact that I am equal to a man.  Following
whatever the forthcoming guidelines recommend will of
course not change that fact that a person is
homosexual, but it will perhaps hamper their pride in
themselves.  I understand why this is such a hard
thing for LBGT people, as that pride was hard-won.
Hard-won as a group with some dying for it, and
hard-won individually as every single member had a
time they had to sit down with family and friends
struggle to be proud of who they are.  It is a
sacrifice to be asked to hide or downplay who you are,
but don't forget that many Egyptians will be
beneficiaries of the sacrifice.  The free culture
movement as a whole will benefit.  And it is only one
of many annual conferences.

Birgitte SB