[Foundation-l] Concerns for Safety

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 20:01:46 UTC 2008

--- Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Nathan
> <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> >  Sometimes not everyone can go, just like
> >  not everyone has Internet access to read
> Wikipedia.
>
> I can't go, and you don't hear me complaining about
> that. There's a
> difference, however, between a person who can't go,
> and a person who
> is told that they just shouldn't because our
> organization just doesn't
> care about them.

I disagree that this is the case.  Every year people
can't go.  Some can't go because they are not allowed
to exit an airport in certain countries.  Some because
the travel is unaffordable.  Some because they do not
wish to ever set foot in a certain nation for any
event.

It does not follow that because people can't go to a
single Wikimania, then no one cares about them.  The
organization does care that everyone can to attend a
Wikimania in the long run.  This is why it is rotated
every year.  Every year's Wikimania will be
problematic for some people.  The goal is to not have
too much overlap in who has problems from year to
year.

Birgitte SB