[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimanians in Alexandria

Aude audevivere at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 19:02:27 UTC 2008

1. Do you know that the UAE heavily censors the Internet, including content
on YouTube, Flickr, Facebook, MySpace, etc?  They also block all
.il<http://tr_1204913557965>(Israeli) websites.
http://www.opennetinitiative.net/studies/uae/
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/511899-facebook-myspace-to-be-banned

Though Egypt monitors the Internet, they do not censor sites like those.
While not perfect (what place is?), Egypt is comparatively a much more
moderate Muslim country.

2. The UAE is unwelcoming of visitors who have an Israeli stamp on their
passport, yet alone if you have an Israeli passport.  Egypt has diplomatic
relations with Israel, with people from Israel welcome to visit Egypt.

3. There was no bid from Dubai.  The Alexandria team is offering the venue,
the organizational efforts (including their experience hosting conferences),
etc. for Wikimania, within reasonable costs.  These are also very important
factors, as is rotating the location to different parts of the world.  Given
the whole of the bid criteria, Alexandria is a fine choice and think it will
be a good time for all that come.

-Aude

Aude