[Foundation-l] Jimmy Wales in the news

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Mar 6 06:58:12 UTC 2008

Mike Godwin wrote:
> Sue's competent. You should trust her judgment.
>
> It also strikes me as imprudent to rely on warmed-over digital gossip
> rather than on the judgment of an experienced, objective professional
> on the ground, but I may be an old-fashioned empiricist about such
> matters.  More than imprudent at worse -- it can be frivolous and even
> destructive of shared culture. I think that is not an optimal outcome.

I agree in general, but these allegations are getting some level of
credence because it isn't just digital gossip from random people, but
allegations from the second person hired by the Wikimedia Foundation,
who was previously highly involved in day-to-day operations, and is also
familiar to many English-Wikipedia editors as the Foundation's former
point man for WP:OFFICE actions. If it were some random person I doubt
anyone around here would care. There are also allegedly leaked emails
from Florence supporting some of the allegations. This doesn't
necessarily mean any of them are correct, but it's not like they're
coming from nowhere.

-Mark