[Foundation-l] Stalking Article

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 10 21:06:45 UTC 2008

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> We are talking about people who on or off list threaten others to kill, maim
> and rape.
If that's what you mean that's how you define it, and stick to that
definition.
> We are talking about people associated with aggressive pov pushing
> and using any means whatsoever to establish their pov.
Some will do that without going quite so far as death and rape threats.
That may still be unacceptable, but it's a different issue.
> There have been
> several examples given of this behaviour by credible people. Suggesting as
> you do that there is no idea that we are talking about it not where we are at.

I can't do anything about your willful misreading
> When YOU do not know what is being discussed you either read up on it, do
> some research, talk to people involved or keep out of it.
The issue is a general one about stalking.  I don't need to wade through
multiple pages of endless drama to understand that.  My objectivity will
not be helped by a one-sided listening to only those who believe they
have been stalked.  I will not be intimidated out of the conversation
just because you don't like what I am saying.
> Suggesting that
> there is no clarity about such issues is exactly the kind of behaviour that
> makes this situation worse because it leads to more procrastination.
Quite the contrary.  The kind of muddle-headedness that is incapable of
bringing a problem into clear focus is a lot more to the point.
> What is
> needed is clarity to what extend the WMF is aware of this situation and what
> involvement it can have, research is needed about the extend this type of
> behaviour DOES affect our project and impacts the NPOV of controversial
> subjects. This research is needed because it will prevent people from
> ignoring or belittling this issue.

If you can't say whom you are accusing of belittling the issue, withdraw
your accusation.

I'm sure that the WMF is well aware of the situation.  Research can be
an effective tool for procrastination.  What, if anything, the
Foundation can do about threatened editors is more relevant.  You seem
to be more concerned with the impact on NPOV than on the personal safety
of those who have received real threats.

Ec