[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation 2008-2009 Annual Plan

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Jul 3 16:11:54 UTC 2008

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> The people of Africa have the same need as the people of Europe. We are
> doing a good job for the people of Europe. There needs are taken care off,
> the projects in the European language are in a great shape. This is in
> marked contrast with the projects in the African languages even the African
> subjects.
>
> At the Wikimanias of the past the wish was expressed to do a better job for
> Africa.. we have this opportunity, we can take this.

European needs are filled because there are Europeans to fill the needs.

African subjects in European languages (at least English) can too easily
get tied up in some people's advanced society notions of notability and
verifiability.  We have few enough people to work on these, so it woule
help to bemore relaxed on these standards.

The upcoming Wikimania is in Africa, so I would expect to see more
Africans when I get there.

Ec