[Foundation-l] EU wants to increase musicians' and singers' copyright to 95 years

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Fri Feb 15 17:42:44 UTC 2008

Benjamin Smith wrote:

>We definitely should try to join with FSF / EFF / any other organisation
>with similar aims. We are, remember, still a small organisation.
>Wikipedia is well-known, but people won't even make a link with
>copyright on music. The only way to try to be heard in this matter is
>joining our efforts.
>
>Anyone wanting to start the petition on meta ? ;-)

Methinks someone should install petition software on the toolserver and put
a message up in the sitenotice. If you're saying we can currently use
classical music 70 years after author's death but the EU wants to put it up
to 95 I'm sure you'll get massive support. I'm all for the Foundation being
politically neutral but this is an issue that seriously impacts the mission.
To pervert Tom Cruise's whacky video, "Copyright evangelists? Go to guns!"

Brian McNeil