[Foundation-l] EU wants to increase musicians' and singers' copyright to 95 years

Benjamin Smith benji.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 17:55:02 UTC 2008

Brian McNeil a écrit :
> Benjamin Smith wrote:
>

>> We definitely should try to join with FSF / EFF / any other organisation
>> with similar aims. We are, remember, still a small organisation.
>> Wikipedia is well-known, but people won't even make a link with
>> copyright on music. The only way to try to be heard in this matter is
>> joining our efforts.
>>
>> Anyone wanting to start the petition on meta ? ;-)
>>

> Methinks someone should install petition software on the toolserver and put
> a message up in the sitenotice. If you're saying we can currently use
> classical music 70 years after author's death but the EU wants to put it up
> to 95 I'm sure you'll get massive support. I'm all for the Foundation being
> politically neutral but this is an issue that seriously impacts the mission.
> To pervert Tom Cruise's whacky video, "Copyright evangelists? Go to guns!"
>

> Brian McNeil

Mmmh... I'm not sure the foundation should go that far. There are
already many petition tools on the internet, no need imho to have that
kind on tools as a MediaWiki extension. And putting a sitenotice
promoting that petition would really not be NPOV. But posting in wikis'
village pumps, yes, of course. And Wikimedia's local chapters
communicating about this, why not. But the foundation, that hosts
Wikimedia projects and thus has direct relations with the wikis,
shouldn't express that clerly its opinion imho.

Yrs

User:Benjism89