[Foundation-l] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Wikimedia-wide globalblocking mechanism?

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Mon Feb 4 17:20:55 UTC 2008

Without going into too many details here we're talking about specific
scenarios where an IP address is to be blocked. An example would be as
follows:

Some idiot called "Poopforshoes" comes along on en.wikinews and starts
vandalising articles on the site. He's quickly blocked and someone notices
we've had *very* similar vandalism in the past. A CheckUser reveals a dozen
or so similar usernames with the same modus operandi, no uninvolved users on
the IP, so the IP is blocked long-term and the details passed on to
Checkuser-l. When we start getting another handful of wikis telling us this
has happened to them with the same IP we want a global - and consistent -
block.

I have no opinion on how this could impact SpamBots, or if it would even be
appropriate in such cases. What I would like to see is something that
doesn't involve someone adminning themselves on 700 or so wikis to issue a
long-term block.

Brian McNeil