[Foundation-l] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Wikimedia-wide globalblocking mechanism?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Feb 4 20:27:54 UTC 2008

Birgitte SB wrote:
> Trusting the stewards to opt-in what they judge to be
> a wiki with no community and taking this feature live
> on all wikis at once is not the same proposal.  Both
> proposals make dealing with vandalism on inactive
> wikis easier, but my proposal prevents the problems
> that might occur with more active wikis due to poor
> communication.
I agree.  This is a commonsense approach.  When such steps are taken
with sensitivity to a community's circumstances they could work quite
well.  What's frightening is those individuals who would take such tools
as an opportunity to impose their views on a community where they have
not previously shown any interest at all.  In Wikisource it's not
unusual for a fresh immigrant to assume that the same rules apply as in
en:wp.  We can and should be less understanding when we are dealing with
bots, but if these proposals were about bots they should not have been
framed in more general terms.

Ec