[Foundation-l] 80% of our projects are failing

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:48:52 UTC 2008

Anyone who doubts about the deplorable state of, well, many language
editions of Wikipedia, may have a look at this:
http://pdc.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Gleeder&oldid=25822 Gleeder

Measurements: WMF might:
- reconsider the rules for allowing new language editions, with regard to
the non fictional literature produced by the linguistic community and the
linguistic proficiency of those who ask for the new edition (and don't let
them be by too few)
- be more strict that editions stick to Wikipedia rules, like those about
the encyclopedic character of Wikipedia
- give small Wikipedias more advice, like in
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Manual_for_small_and_new_Wikipedias
- consider to install a kind of mentor or tutor for these small Wikipedias

Ziko van Dijk

2008/12/1 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>

> Hoi,
> First, the call for improvement of the usability of the MediaWiki software
> is neutral to languages. It is easy to appreciate how the smaller projects
> will benefit. It is even easy to argue that the big projects will benefit.
> Second, why would the promotion of minority languages conflict with the WMF
> stated objectives ?
>
> When you argue for tolerance towards minority languages, you effectively
> discriminate against minority people and languages. When you make sure that
> our software supports any language as well as possible, as I do, minority
> languages are effectively not an issue. Enabling people to participate is
> what our goal should be, whatever the language, whatever the culture.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
>
> 2008/12/1 geni <geniice at gmail.com>
>
> > 2008/12/1 Fajro <faigos at gmail.com>:
> > > Wow, just wow... I feel really sick after reading some of the messages
> of
> > > this tread.
> > >
> > > Maybe the promotion of minority languages is not directly a goal of WMF
> > but
> > > it's a must.
> >
> > No. You can argue for the tolerance of minority languages but actively
> > promoting them conflicts with Wikimedia's stated objectives.
> >

> > --
> > geni

Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde