[Foundation-l] Ancient Greek Wikipedia, possible reconsideration

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 07:14:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
>  The policy warts and all is clearly beneficial. We are discussing a corner
>  case, this is how to deal with reconstructed languages. One of the things
>  that we have is time. There is time to get a code for a reconstructed
>  language, there is no urgency.

The English Wikipedia has been built in 7 years.  Just 7 years, and
look at all that has been accomplished.

Despite some vague conversation you report here, I see no sign of
likelihood at all that the ISO is going to open up to your
unprecedented requirement of a unique "reconstructed" code, a
requirement that only you among the people in this discussion seem to
consider significant.  And if it ever were implemented in the medium
term, it might be on a one-time basis for Greek, while not addressing
the larger issue.

Which does not mean that we couldn't move over to a "reconstructed"
code later if one was ever implemented.

But I assert that there -is- an urgency now.  Waiting 10 years should
not be an option.  We would lose -far- too many good
encyclopedia-writing hours.

Thanks,
Pharos