[Foundation-l] Introduction to the internal workings ofthelanguage subcommittee

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Sun Apr 13 22:37:54 UTC 2008

Perhaps it would make you seem more human Gerard if you sometimes got a bit
curt or short-tempered about some things. ;-) Yes, our discussion is now
digressing from the subject, but people are coming across as more human.
Being the professional-sounding voice of LangCom is not going to win you any
friends. It will help you garner opponents, but while being forthright and -
possibly - blunt will also allow you to collect people in opposition it has
a far higher chance of getting people to see the point you're making or at
least come to respect the position you are taking.

As someone who grew up in Scotland, went to school and university there, and
didn't leave the country until into his late twenties, it surprises me that
"Scots" is a recognised language. I knew of no school in my area that taught
it, nor of any qualifications available in it. The closest I ever came to
studying it was the poetry of Robert Burns, and what he wrote would be
classed - at least on my understanding of some of your earlier comments - as
a dead language. To go back to the intro, saying "Hoi" to someone who speaks
a Scottish dialect of English is likely to elicit the response, "Aye? Whit's
yer problem, pal?"

I am most delighted to hear you are sympathetic to Latin, that has to date
not been my understanding of what you have written. Personally, I would put
the availability of a body of work in Latin well above Esperanto. So many
legal systems employ it, and there is the Roman Catholic Church's use of it.
I think perhaps where we're losing the plot here is the focus on Wikipedia
projects. What about a Wikisource in Latin? The vast corpus of classical
works in the language could be incorporated and made widely available. With
a little work, the Holy See could be convinced to upload their texts which
are a "more modern" version of the language, and during that process
interface text could be translated. This latter part is where words would
need invented. It'd probably amuse a cardinal to say, "the language of
Wikipedia is not of this world". Wikiscanner shows they edit Wikipedia, so
why not engage with them in the lingua franca they know and love?

So far, I've seen nobody make the argument that the WMF should be practicing
necromancy and attempting to resurrect these languages to a state where they
have native speakers. Latin and Greek form the major foundations of so many
Western languages that they are - in my opinion - a vital part of the "sum
of all human knowledge". The best I personally can do with either is get
something like 50% score guessing which is the source from which the root of
an English word is drawn. With a larger online body of work in these
languages, the chances of that score improving increase. However, I feel
that with some of the high standards set for interface translation there is
a risk that, putting Wikipedia aside, if you start a Latin Wikibooks,
Wikiquotes, or Wikiversity, then you'll never have enough messages
translated to do the others (per rules) because you need to invent words.

As I infer from Jesse's statements the LangCom is a body which goes to such
lengths to work from consensus that it may well be killing itself. As
someone who considers himself to have an above-average command of English
with really basic knowledge of French and Dutch I certainly do not consider
myself qualified to be involved in the detailed discussion. However, there
needs to be some way that the wider community can get involved and do more
than throw peanuts from the cheap seats. That, I believe, is where this
discussion has been headed for the last few days. You, Gerard, are sticking
with the excessively conservative interpretation of the LangCom's remit and
not looking to do an end-run round it. People on foundation-l are looking
for the LangCom to apply "Ignore All Rules" and implement Latin and/or
Greek. It just frustrates me - and I don't think I'm alone - to think that
similar to images a fair use rationale could have been constructed for Latin
faster than trying to explain why the existing rules don't allow it.

Hopefully the above missive is more constructive in moving the discussion
forward than bitching about "Hoi" because I thought the whole thing had
descended into running round in ever-smaller circles.

Brian McNeil