[Foundation-l] Ancient Greek Wikipedia

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Sun Apr 13 19:12:14 UTC 2008

Nikola Smolenski schrieb:
> On Sunday 13 April 2008 12:06:34 Ilario Valdelli wrote:
>
>> The problem is: why a person must write this information in Old Greek
>> instead of in his own language? No one has got Old Greek like mother
>> tongue.
>>

> Regardless of their reasons, there are such persons. Nothing is gained by not
> providing them an outlet for their writing.

I think, this is indeed a very good point. Of course there is some
outlet for Klingon, Toki Pona or Proto-Indo-European too, but unlike
those three languages there are also potential readers. Until now, there
is only data for three countries in my tiny collection on
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Slomox/Greek>, but according to
those figures there are at least 240,000 people learning Ancient Greek
_each year_. (And of course several people producing modern content like
sci-fi or comic strips in the language)

Marcus Buck