[Foundation-l] Ancient Greek Wikipedia

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.yu
Sun Apr 13 18:34:09 UTC 2008

On Sunday 13 April 2008 10:43:37 Ilario Valdelli wrote:
> Why you write in Wikipedia? You write in Wikipedia because other people
> can read your texts and your articles, because your aim is the
> widespread of knowledge.
>
> Perfect... an open project of Wikipedia *must* have got writers and
> readers. Your aim is the communication and your mean is a wiki and for
> this reason your communication is a *written* communication.
>
> Using a died language probably you miss this aim because you don't have
> readers: you write in Wikipedia in a died language only for you, for
> your satisfaction.
>
> You can have a small number of readers but, probably, if they must
> choose an article in old Greek, for example, or in their own language,
> they will choose the second one.

I agree with you, but you should note that the selection of articles is not
the same in all Wikipedias. It is perfectly plausible that a person who
knows, for example, Macedonian and old Greek, will be able to gather
knowledge from old Greek Wikipedia which does not exist in their own
language, in Macedonian Wikipedia. Note that this will most likely be
knowledge about old Greek, they are interested in.

As a concrete example, a person who knows Macedonian and Old church Slavonic
is right now able to read the article about Pope Alexander VI in the Old
church Slavonic Wikipedia which does not exists in Macedonian Wikipedia.