[Foundation-l] Creative Commons CC-BY-SA Draft Statement of Intent

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 16:24:15 UTC 2008

On 06/04/2008, Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 5:56 AM, Gerard Meijssen
>
> <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
>  >  When you insist on the enforcement of "share alike" in the strongest
>  >  possible way, you prevent mashing and collaboration. You prevent the use of
>  >  material in academic papers. In this way the medicine that are free and open
>  >  licenses is as bad as what it is to cure; restrictive licenses and
>  >  restrictive practices.
>  >
>  >  Obviously it is a choice, it may even be your choice but you *are *replacing
>  >  restrictive practices with restrictive practices..
>  >  Thanks,
>  >       GerardM
>

> Yeah, and we earn a lot of good will from journalists because they are
>  grateful that Wikimedia offers free photos, and this introduces them
>  to the concept of free content as well.

No it introduces them to the idea that there is content they don't
have to pay for. it doesn't appear to be introducing them to the wider
free concepts.

>  I talked with a young journalist at one of our events in  New York
>  this Friday, and this was very much a reason she appreciated
>  Wikimedia, because the wonder of free content helps her everyday in
>  her job.
>
>  Imagine the potential attitude of a journalist like that, used to
>  interacting with free content on a regular basis, when she has a
>  mature journalism career, and maybe a position of editorial authority
>  in a few years.

So far the evidence would suggest that in the majority of cases it has
no impact whatsoever. There is a clear line between free content
consumers and free content creators.

>  Now imagine us telling her free content is over for her, that
>  Wikimedia is no longer interested in helping journalists unless they
>  fulfill our strict ideological requirements.

Strict? Not remotely. See

http://www.gettyimages.com/Corporate/LicenseInfo.aspx

And you pay for that.

>  Then her experience with free content comes to a sudden stop, and the
>  whole concept seems like a brief fad that is no longer relevant to her
>  carreer.  Do you think she will have the same positive attitude toward
>  Wikimedia and free content when she becomes an editor then?

Positive attitudes butter no parsnips. In fact you are suggesting her
attitude would be that free content is something you take from and
don't give to which isn't very helpful for us.

BTW we currently have an alexa rank about 50 places higher than the BBC.
--
geni