[Foundation-l] Creative Commons CC-BY-SA Draft Statement of Intent

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 15:46:35 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 5:56 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
>  When you insist on the enforcement of "share alike" in the strongest
>  possible way, you prevent mashing and collaboration. You prevent the use of
>  material in academic papers. In this way the medicine that are free and open
>  licenses is as bad as what it is to cure; restrictive licenses and
>  restrictive practices.
>
>  Obviously it is a choice, it may even be your choice but you *are *replacing
>  restrictive practices with restrictive practices..
>  Thanks,
>       GerardM

Yeah, and we earn a lot of good will from journalists because they are
grateful that Wikimedia offers free photos, and this introduces them
to the concept of free content as well.

I talked with a young journalist at one of our events in  New York
this Friday, and this was very much a reason she appreciated
Wikimedia, because the wonder of free content helps her everyday in
her job.

Imagine the potential attitude of a journalist like that, used to
interacting with free content on a regular basis, when she has a
mature journalism career, and maybe a position of editorial authority
in a few years.

Now imagine us telling her free content is over for her, that
Wikimedia is no longer interested in helping journalists unless they
fulfill our strict ideological requirements.

Then her experience with free content comes to a sudden stop, and the
whole concept seems like a brief fad that is no longer relevant to her
carreer.  Do you think she will have the same positive attitude toward
Wikimedia and free content when she becomes an editor then?

Thanks,
Pharos