[Foundation-l] Creative Commons CC-BY-SA Draft Statement of Intent

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 16:52:56 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 3:09 AM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/04/2008, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> <nope>
> > You prevent the use of
> >  material in academic papers.
>
> Nope. Academic papers could be released under free licenses (there is
> currently an ongoing argument over the matter.

Also, the Public Library of Science [1], perhaps the most significant of the
open access publishers [2], adopted CC-BY for all their journals.  In
addition, my university recently dedicated a special pot of funds to cover
page charges for authors who would like to publish in open access journals.
In general, I think most academics view open access as a good thing.  The
free content movement is definitely compatible with academic publishing
though the nature of that publishing may change some.

-Robert Rohde

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Library_of_Science
[2] - http://www.doaj.org/