[Foundation-l] Sassarese and Sardinian

Debbie Garside debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk
Tue Sep 11 11:52:17 UTC 2007

Ilario wrote:

> The problem is generated because it's not clear what is
> language and what is dialect.

If ever you solve that one let me and the rest of the world's linguists know
:-)

I think you should stop trying to classify linguistic entities and look at
each in  its own right.  Once ISO 639-6 is published, when we receive a new
registration request, a number of questions will be asked that will need to
be answered prior to the requested entity being passed for inclusion within
ISO 639-6. The most relevant of these are:

What are the closest related entities?
What is the difference between the new entity and it's closest relations?

In considering these questions you may reasonably have your answer.  The
questions regarding previously created Wikis should be tackled as secondary.

It is for the language committee to decide whether the differences warrant a
new wiki/code - ISO standards can only serve as guidance and the ISO 639 JAC
go through much the same process as the WikiMedia Language Committee (I
think).  If the language committee feel that there is enough evidence for
the entity to be considered separately then the ISO 639-3 RA should be
approached.  If they fail to issue a code then the next step is to approach
IETF-Languages; who generally will not have a problem issuing once the ISO
639 JAC have refused (assuming enough evidence of the entity is presented).

Best wishes

Debbie