[Foundation-l] Software Policy Draft

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 11:33:37 UTC 2007

2007/9/3, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Software_Policy_Draft

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Software_Policy_Draft&oldid=661622
> )
>
> This is a first modest draft for a software policy for WMF projects.
> It's an attempt to codify our existing practices re: free file formats
> & open source software. I'd appreciate feedback & edits. If we can end
> up with something that makes sense, I'll put it to a Board vote.

I think that the current definition of "direct dependency" in the page
("a copy of the content cannot be rendered or modified on the user's
system using open source software without a prior conversion to
another format by the user.") is too strict. It would for example
consider every type of zipped material, independent of the nature of
the compression algorithm or the encoding of what was zipped, to be
directly dependent on proprietary software. I think there should be an
addendum "when there is no open source software capable of doing such
a conversion".

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels