[Foundation-l] Software Policy Draft

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 15:02:50 UTC 2007

On 9/3/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Software_Policy_Draft

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Software_Policy_Draft&oldid=661622
> )
>
> This is a first modest draft for a software policy for WMF projects.
> It's an attempt to codify our existing practices re: free file formats
> & open source software. I'd appreciate feedback & edits. If we can end
> up with something that makes sense, I'll put it to a Board vote.

For myself, I fully support clause 3: "Creating a functionally equivalent
copy ("mirror") of a project operated by the Wikimedia Foundation
must not require the use of proprietary software by the third party
creating the copy."

On clauses 1, 2 and 4. I think I need to study them further, before I
say anything too definitive, one way or the other.