[Foundation-l] Anon and flaggued versions....

James Forrester jdforrester at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 14:38:38 UTC 2007

On 30/10/2007, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 30, 2007 9:07 AM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> > > First point: There won't be an edit button in a flagged version! The
> > > button in the usual place will say something like "there may be one or
> > > more newer, yet unchecked versions". Only by clicking on that button the
> > > anon will get the latest version (that may or may be not identical to
> > > the flagged version) and the edit button.
> >
> > Is that for performance reasons, or is it supposed to be a feature?
>
> It's intended to be a feature, I think.  But I regard it as more of a
> misfeature.   I'd prefer all the edit links to be preserved, but
> pressing one should take you to a diff+edit screen like you get on
> edit conflict which would show you the difference between the version
> you were looking at and the version you will be editing.

I think that this would be a very good method of dealing with the
interface in a way that is easy to understand.

> Removal of the edit buttons is a blow to the increase in openness
> flagging should offer.

Absolutely.

> The only major technical complication I see with keeping the edit
> buttons is that it's not clear how section editing should work. What
> do you do if the sections have changed?

Same as above (diff and edit-box), but just for the single section?

> For edit conflicts we currently punt on section editing, which is one
> of the things I find more annoying about  section editing.

Yes, the behaviour of section-editing edit-conflicts is sub-optimal,
but cannot easily be avoided, IMO.

Yours,
--
James D. Forrester