[Foundation-l] Fundraising translations

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Oct 23 16:08:32 UTC 2007

Sebastian Moleski wrote:
> On 10/23/07, Florence Devouard <anthere at anthere.org> wrote:
>
>> Subtitle of the message subject: HELP
>>
>> We need help for translation of the major pages related to fundraising.
>> You can help.
>>
>> Here is the page where translation needed are listed
>>
>> * http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2007#Pages_to_be_translated
>>
>> Please help translate the pages mentionned in bold. This is urgent.
>>
>> Also, please distribute this message around in your projects, in the
>> various languages, and on the pumps.
>>
> There's a saying popular in many American offices: "A lack of planning on
> your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
>
> In other words: there was plenty of time to prepare for this fundraiser,
> indeed there was a message two months ago about this upcoming event. It is
> utterly arrogant and disrespectful towards the volunteers to put up a
> fundraising notice from one day to the other and then afterwards beg for
> translators claiming urgency. I don't think anybody here has a problem
> lending a hand when things are tough and circumstances are outside of your
> control. But this isn't one of those cases. I expect that there will be some
> sort of apology for this mess once it's cleaned up.
I agree that even though the request for translators is as old as the
rest of the preparations for the fundraiser.  It is unconscionable and
disingenuous for those who have failed to step up to the plate for these
two months to claim that they did not know that this translation needed
to be done.  An apology is really deserved to those volunteers who have
worked on this for the last two months.  Sabine has background as a
translator, but she can't be expected to do them all.

Ec