[Foundation-l] Fundraising translations

Sebastian Moleski sebmol at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 13:21:51 UTC 2007

On 10/23/07, Florence Devouard <anthere at anthere.org> wrote:

> Subtitle of the message subject: HELP
>
> We need help for translation of the major pages related to fundraising.
> You can help.
>
> Here is the page where translation needed are listed
>
> * http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2007#Pages_to_be_translated
>
> Please help translate the pages mentionned in bold. This is urgent.
>
> Also, please distribute this message around in your projects, in the
> various languages, and on the pumps.

There's a saying popular in many American offices: "A lack of planning on
your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

In other words: there was plenty of time to prepare for this fundraiser,
indeed there was a message two months ago about this upcoming event. It is
utterly arrogant and disrespectful towards the volunteers to put up a
fundraising notice from one day to the other and then afterwards beg for
translators claiming urgency. I don't think anybody here has a problem
lending a hand when things are tough and circumstances are outside of your
control. But this isn't one of those cases. I expect that there will be some
sort of apology for this mess once it's cleaned up.

And yes, of course, I am willing to help. Not because I like the methods
used here but because there's a higher issue at hand: the foundation does
need money.

Sebastian