[Foundation-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Oct 12 23:14:39 UTC 2007

On 10/9/07, David Strauss <david at fourkitchens.com> wrote:

> I'm offended that the desire to have Wikimania hop around the globe
> (rotation) trumps the egregious history Egypt has with LGBT and other
> civil rights (local laws).

David, thanks for opening this discussion; it's an important and necessary one.

I was not on the Wikimania jury, but I endorse its decision.

To me, WMF is first and foremost about spreading knowledge, across
boundaries of language & culture. This means we should not isolate
countries that violate human rights through reactionary policies. We
need to engage them on a higher level, and confront them with the open
& diverse culture of sharing that we are building.

I understand that this means that many LGBT people may not wish to
attend Wikimania 2008 for reasons of personal safety or principles. I
hope some of them will change their mind, as we need courageous voices
to influence those who can be influenced.

I have always been supportive of Wikimedia taking an official stance
against censorship in particular. Knowledge cannot flow across
boundaries where there are gatekeepers who wish to control it. It is
my belief that education, including education about different
lifestyles, is absolutely critical for social progress anywhere,
including Egypt. This is what Wikimedia, as an international charity,
is all about.

If we truly are the "Red Cross of Knowledge", as Jimmy once called it,
then we need to be everywhere, and primarily challenge policies when
they stop us from doing what we do: giving people free access to
education. This, not simply globe-hopping, is my motivation to support
this location, the first Wikimania in Africa.

--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik