[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 22:00:07 UTC 2007

> No, that's not the problem.
> I'm reading "Don't take a double", and that's... how to say? Ridicolous?
> This is not a matter of wearing a t-shirt with "I'm gay" written on,
> this is a matter of people who are not permitted to sleep with their
> partner cause "could be offensive" and could give problem.
> Iperbole: when will be going to a place where women "socially" wear
> burqa, are we going to ask all the women attending to "wear the burqa
> to not seem offensive"? I don' think so.
>
> Please: read what you write.
> I'm not against Alexandria, but the more I read this thread, the more
> I'm ashamed of what I read.

I never said they would not be permitted to sleep with their partner,
I said it might be wise to avoid being to obvious about it. Sometimes
we do thing we would rather not do, just for the sake of a quiet life.
If people want to make a stand, then that's their decision, but if
people want to go to Wikimania to talk about Wikimedia projects,
rather than to preach to the natives, they may want to consider being
discrete.

As for the burqa - only the most oppressive regimes (if any) require
non-Muslims to wear the burqa, and I don't believe many Muslims would
be offended by non-Muslim women showing their faces. It is, however,
often recommended that women (and, men, for that matter), dress a
little more modestly that perhaps they would usually do when in
devoutly Muslim countries - for example, it would be inappropriate to
wander around in just a bikini and sarong.