[Foundation-l] Fwd: [Citizendium-l] SharedKnowing: invitation to join a new discussion list

Casey Brown cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 20:09:50 UTC 2007

May be of interest...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Larry Sanger <sanger-lists at citizendium.org>
Date: Oct 3, 2007 2:59 PM
Subject: [Citizendium-l] SharedKnowing: invitation to join a new discussion
list
To: CZ Main <citizendium-l at lists.purdue.edu>

PLEASE POST AS WIDELY AS POSSIBLE ON MAILING LISTS, FORUMS,
BLOGS...THIS WILL PROBABLY BE OF INTEREST TO MANY.

Dear All,

I'd like to invite you to join an old-fashioned discussion list,
SharedKnowledge:

http://tinyurl.com/2cqwm3

This unmoderated (or semi-moderated) list will be devoted to well-reasoned,
polite discussion and announcements about the nature of online knowledge
production communities.  It is open to everyone.  I hope it might become a
central clearing-house of general information and free, open, yet polite
discussion about a cluster of issues that are of great interest to many
people, and of growing importance to society at large.

See http://tinyurl.com/2cqwm3 for more info.  There, I have explained:
* Purpose of the list
* How to subscribe and unsubscribe
* How to post
* When will the discussion start?
* Who should join
* Core and example questions
* Relevant and irrelevant Internet communities/websites
* Other encouraged posts
* Subjects that will be deemed off-topic
* List rules
* List Management

To give people time to arrive, discussion will start in a few weeks.

I'm starting this list for several reasons.  First, as a scholar (of sorts)
and project organizer, I have an active, practical interest in these topics.
Second, as I write and prepare speeches (something I'm doing a lot these
days), I would like to have a big group of knowledgeable, like-minded
friends to bounce ideas off of.  Finally, quite honestly, I miss good
old-fashioned discussion lists.  Back in the 90s, I ran several, and one of
them, ASP-Disc, was really great.  I'd like to replicate that sort of lively
community.

Again, please post this message as widely as possible!

Regards
Larry Sanger

-----
Lawrence M. Sanger, Ph.D. | http://www.larrysanger.org/