[Foundation-l] Clarification to existing resolutions

Yonatan Horan yonatanh at gmail.com
Sun May 20 16:57:52 UTC 2007

"An EDP may not allow material where we can reasonably expect someone to
upload a freely licensed file for the same purpose, such as is the case for
almost all portraits of living notable individuals."

I think a resolution needs to be as unambiguous as possible so we don't get
people in the different communities interpreting them in a way that fits
what they think policy should be. For example, what exactly does "reasonably
expect" mean?

Also, regarding this:

"Media used under EDPs are subject to deletion if they lack an applicable
rationale. They must be used only in the context of other freely licensed
content."

Does each file need to have a fair use rationale on the image page, or does
there need to be an applicable rationale that could in theory be used to
explain the usage of this image (but doesn't necessarily need to be on the
image page)?

"By March 23, 2008, all existing files under an unacceptable license as per
the above must either be accepted under an EDP, or shall be deleted."

Why isn't there a deadline by which the projects need to adopt an EDP? As of
right now there's only the March 23, 2008 deadline when all images that
aren't free and don't fall under the EDP will be deleted but I think it's
reasonable to expect an EDP to be written within, say, 6 months. Also, what
sort of help will the foundation offer in the creation of these EDPs?

-Yonatan