[Foundation-l] Rethinking brands

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed May 9 23:13:37 UTC 2007

On 10/05/07, Alison Wheeler <wikimedia at alisonwheeler.com> wrote:

> On another point, frankly the name of whichever project I might be
> contributing to is the *least* important thing that energises me and,
> frankly, I think that the way some people have suggested that editors
> would cease to contribute en masse to a particular project should its name
> change is completely wide of the mark.

Names are, however, important. Consider the tragedy of Usenet group
comp.windows.news ...

Having an inappropriate name for a project will affect that project adversely.

I do understand your and Erik's point, but there's got to be a way to
do this, should it be considered desirable, without alienating the
volunteer base. Much like putting ads on the site.

- d.