[Foundation-l] 09-f9-...

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Wed May 9 10:53:58 UTC 2007

On 5/8/07, Christophe Henner <christophe.henner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Heuu I don't think speed of light has the same interest as a key ;)
>
> Ok let's make it easy, what brings this number to the article?
>
> On 09/05/07, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/8/07, Christophe Henner <christophe.henner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Is this number so important in the human knowledge that it HAS TO be
> > > on wikipedia? I'm afraid no.
> > >
> > > Yann, just remind that free means "under a free documentation license
> > > such as the Free Documentation License written by the Free Software
> > > Foundation Inc. at http://www.fsf.org " and not "do whatever you
> > > want".
> > >
> > > This means we have to follow the law, whatever the law is, we have not
> > > to cross the line. Why Wikipedia would allow itself to cross this
> > > line? There's no reasons, this number is not that important to the
> > > project so it needs to be written. It's anecdotic.
> > >
> > > I'm affraid Wikipedia is not the good place to defend our opinions,
> > > this key number is not encyclopedix, I don't really see why it should
> > > either be on Wikipedia or have its own article.
> > >
> > > About Wikinews, you can make a full, complete and interressant news
> > > about this without giving the number.
> > >
> > > So imo the questions is "Can we do, if the subject is encyclopedix, an
> > > article about this kind of number without writing them?" yes. What
> > > informations does this number brings to the article? None.

> > > --
> > > schiste
> > >

> > I must disagree. The number itself brings -specificity-. We don't say
> > the speed of light is "really really fast", we provide a numerical
> > value. We don't say the sun is "very far away from the Earth", we
> > provide a numerical value. We don't say a mole is "a whole lot of
> > particles", we say what Avogadro's number actually is. In keeping with
> > that, we don't say that the HD-DVD flap was over "a hexadecimal
> > number", -we specify what that number is-.
> >
> > --
> > Freedom is the right to know that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.

> --
> schiste

The fact that the number itself is a big part of the issue here (as
evidenced by this conversation, after all?) So, why should we -not-
print it? It's evident AACS doesn't intend to cause legal trouble,
they'd make themselves a laughingstock. It's certainly not in
evidence, given that, that a simple numerical value even -would- be
enough to trigger the DMCA. So what do you mean, "what brings it to
the article"? It's the centerpiece of the article! We don't write a
bio about a person without saying -who they are-, and instead dancing
around it and describing "Well, there was this one human, male, 6'2",
usually wore glasses...". We name names. And in this case, the "star
of the show", so to speak, has a name, and it begins with 09 F9.

--
Freedom is the right to know that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.