[Foundation-l] Election Notice

Jon Harald Søby jhsoby at gmail.com
Sat May 5 18:55:34 UTC 2007

As I understand it, this committee will not be in charge of handling
the elections themselves, but rather be about _how_ the elections
should be conducted. This because some changes are needed in accord
with the 'fiasco' of last year's election. Wikimedia is becoming ever
more visible, and I believe that this year's election will garner
quite a lot of media attention, which makes it even more important
that everything is conducted correctly (other than the obvious reasons
of fairness, etc., of course).

In other words, I don't see any reason why committee membership should
be limited to those over 18, if there is a good candidate that doesn't
meet that criteria. ;-)

On 5/5/07, Timichal <timichal at timichal.net> wrote:
> Jan-Bart de Vreede wrote:
> > Dear members of the community,
> >
> > As most of you know we will be holding elections for the Wikimedia
> > Foundation Board of Trustees in the near future. Your elected
> > representatives Erik Möller (Eloquence), Kat Walsh (Mindspillage) and
> > Oscar van Dillen (Oscar) all have terms that expire on July 1st 2007. We
> > will therefore hold elections for these three seats in the coming months.
> >
> > As a nominated member of the Board of Trustees it has been decided that
> > I will be the person who will be the contact for these elections within
> > the Board. But the real process will be guided by an "election
> > committee". Amongst other things, the Election Committee will discuss
> > and explore::
> > 1) revisions to the election method and process
> > 2) limiting organizational access to ongoing election records
> > 3) technological measures to improve voting security.
> >
> > At this time I would like to ask any interested volunteers to submit a
> > brief summary of qualifications to volunteering at wikimedia.org.  This
> > summary should consist of your username, list of active projects, real
> > name and a paragraph or two explaining the skills that you feel would
> > benefit the foundation in the elections process. The deadline for
> > applications is the end of Sunday the 13th of May (UTC).
> >
> I suppose members of the committee have to be 18+ because of their IP
> checking abilities?
>
> Thanks,
> Michal Zlatkovsky
> [[m:User:Timichal]]