[Foundation-l] Language Prevention Committee created

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 17:20:42 UTC 2007

On 31/03/07, Arbeo M <arbeo.wiki at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2007/3/30, The Cunctator cunctator at gmail.com:
>
> > The reasonable assumption is that something in the process is broken.
>
> That's exactly the point. On one side we have a number of well-advanced
> requests for new languages with good potential. There's a number of editors
> who are serious about starting their wiki. And on the other side we have a
> committee in charge enabling this type of progress. Yet, nothing ever
> happens, instead today we're "celebrating" half a year without a single new
> Wikipedia.
>
> That's just the cold hard facts and they speak for themselves.
>
> I don't want this discussion to revolve in circles or drift off into
> polemics but we'd be a whole lot further if the committee would acknowledge
> this reality instead of insisting that everything is fine a long as the holy
> rules are left untouched. Please!

The system is nice in principle but has proven itself unworkable.
Perhaps, rather than just decrying the failing system, we could come
up with ideas for how a different system could be implemented more
effectively and workably. The old system had its failings too.

The main problem seems to be a disjoint between the wish to create a
project in one's own language and the technical process of preping the
interface and whatnot. Is this a reasonable summary?

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)