[Foundation-l] Language Prevention Committee created

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 17:32:53 UTC 2007

Aside from the kabyle, ottoman turkish, and crimean tatar wikipedias, what
requests are you thinking of where editors are serious about starting
their wiki?

By the way -- I haven't said it often enough since incubator.wikimedia
got set up, but Three Cheers for that lovely site.  It is wonderful to
have a proper space to develop a new language wiki, precisely so that
these issues of how to fix a reasonable language policy can take place
without preventing interested editors from developing new articles in
their chosen language.

I'm not sure anyone is saying "everything is fine, move along", but I
think we also have a familiar exaggeration on both sides of the issue of
what the differences are between two fairly similar positions about what
is required to start a new wiki... perhaps it is time for a loud
broadcasting of the new language policy, and a call (in more languages
than just English) for interested participants to return to
   http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_languages
and weigh in?

SJ