[Foundation-l] Domains

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Sat Mar 24 18:36:43 UTC 2007

On 3/24/07, Robert Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
> Considering that the announcement of Brad's resignation just occured, it
> shouldn't be surprising that this is one issue that has just come up.
> And while I am not questioning Brad's integrity here, I am pointing out
> that a less than honorable person could take advantage of the situation
> and move the domains to some other server farm and do all sorts of other
> damage.

I suppose so, but besides such an incident eventually being corrected
(and I suspect it'd be days or hours, not months), whoever did such
destruction would probably spend time in jail as a result (criminal
breach of fiduciary duty).

The owner of the domains, I assume, is the corporation.  The admin
contact has authority to do pretty much anything, but in the case of a
dispute the owner of the domain can override the authority of the
admin contact.

So, I dunno, the level of concern over this matter seems overkill.
I'd personally see no problem with any employee of the WMF or any
board member being the admin contact.  Some kind of joint contact
situation (both people have to turn the key at the same time) would be
preferable, I guess, but AFAIK it's not possible.

Anthony