[Foundation-l] Domains

Robert Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sat Mar 24 17:29:04 UTC 2007

Florence Devouard wrote:
> Platonides wrote:
>
>> BTW: Who will take care of the domains now Brad resigns?
>>

> Reality check guys.

<*snip*>
> anthere

Considering that the announcement of Brad's resignation just occured, it
shouldn't be surprising that this is one issue that has just come up.
And while I am not questioning Brad's integrity here, I am pointing out
that a less than honorable person could take advantage of the situation
and move the domains to some other server farm and do all sorts of other
damage.  This is precisely why the "administrative contact" person
should be somebody with absolutely stellar integrity and has the full
faith and trust of not only the board but the entire community, and why
I believe this to be a very valid question.

While in the long run any such usurption of the WMF domains would
eventually come back under the control of the WMF, it would be a very
miserable several months if somebody were to mess things up in this
way.  Considering the way vandals try to mess up our projects, this
would be the ultimate vandalism ploy if this domain registration was
messed up.  It could be far more damaging than a rogue admin or even
steward.

I have no doubt that at the moment the WMF has this issue under control,
and that certainly any formalities that would also involve Brad would be
done as a matter of courtesy as well.

-- Robert Horning.