[Foundation-l] Censorship: Speedy deletion of porn articles

Yonatan Horan yonatanh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 19:06:48 UTC 2007

On 3/9/07, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is no reason at all why all subjects that are permitted on the
> English
> Wikipedia should be permitted on another project. The notions of the
> English
> Wikipedia are not universal. Individual Pokemon articles et al are denied
> on
> the German Wikipedia and when individual people and or movies notable in
> the
> porn industry are not permitted on a particular project, I have no problem
> with it at all.

I never said that every other Wikipedia needs to go by the same standards as
the English Wikipedia just that you can't censor a certain topic just
because you don't like it, especially when there's nowhere near community
consensus on the issue.

There are much more important issues to do with censorship on Wikipedia
> projects. On some projects articles on the holocaust are severely censored
> because "it is not an accepted fact that it happened the way you have it
> portrayed". This means that articles, even featured articles of the
> English
> Wikipedia associated with the second world war, cannot be literally
> translated into these particular language versions of Wikipedia.

Then that's an even bigger problem that should be dealt with as well.

In many cultures the porn industry is not noted nor is porn permitted.
> Insistence on having it included in Wikipedia is against the laws and
> morals
> of such countries. I stand by my position that a comparison with the
> Pokemon
> characters is valid; a Wikipedia article does not have to allow the
> inclusion of all of them.

Luckily for us, we have someone who is well aware of Israeli and Hebrew
culture and who knows that in this aspect (to be specific, me). Israeli
society is very similar to American or European society in that there are
the conservatives, but they are not the majority (and of course there are no
"porn laws"). Your argument might be valid for the Arabic Wikipedia (since
in that case, a ban may reflect Arabic society and morals), however a
country that has the playboy channel, et cetera, is obviously not the
country that you imagine. You seem to have a strong misconception of the
Hebrew culture.

The porn industry *is* notable in Israeli\Hebrew culture. Again, even the
ones arguing against the inclusion of pornographic articles in the Hebrew
Wikipedia ARE NOT saying that it isn't notable. I didn't say the Hebrew
Wikipedia needs to allow writing about Angel Cutexxx (fictional name) or any
other esoteric actor/actress just that articles on subjects that are clearly
notable cannot be speedy deleted. I'd have much less of a problem if someone
nominated the article for deletion as non-notable but this is not what is
happening, an article about a subject that has something to do with porn is
deleted... for no reason other than the fact that it has something to do
with porn (and nobody is claiming otherwise, or using non-notability as an
excuse).

Fine, you don't trust my judgment as obviously I have a POV here but someone
like Danny (and I know who Danny is and how busy he is) is someone who can
judge the situation in a better way since he is familiar with the culture,
speaks the language and is a trusted person.

PS I am not outraged, I think your premise is wrong.

If you look over your initial response, you may see why I perceived it that
way.

Thanks,