[Foundation-l] Censorship: Speedy deletion of porn articles

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Thu Mar 8 20:54:12 UTC 2007

Yonatan Horan wrote:

>I strongly resent your reply. It seems like you have some similar issues
>with Pokemon articles and that's the reason you lashed out the way you did.
>The reason I raised this issue on this mailing list is not because of some
>misplaced sense of outrage. The incident I was talking about took place two
>months ago and the only reason I mentioned it was to fully disclose any
>relevant information so other people don't come on here later on and say
>that the only reason I'm bringing this issue to the attention of others is
>due to a vendetta against the Hebrew Wikipedia or something of the sort.
>This isn't about me trying to provoke anything. It's about a certain group
>of admins ignoring the fact that speedy deletion of porn articles was never
>passed as a policy on hewp (and there is more than one sysop who can attest
>to this). As I said previously, I don't have any particular interest in porn
>and the fact that I've never edited an article that has anything to do with
>this topic on the english wikipedia supports that. Ron Jeremy and Jenna
>Jameson are both notable enough to have their own article on any wikipedia,
>whether it be English, Hebrew or Malaysian. Attempts have been made to
>resolve this issue "in-house" have failed, otherwise I wouldn't have posted
>it to this mailing list. I can't find the specific meta page at the moment
>but it isn't English Wikipedia only policy that wikipedia isn't censored. If
>the german wikipedia decided to delete all articles regarding Nazi Germany,
>etc. would you have reacted the same way? Or maybe if the Chinese Wikipedia
>decided to ban all articles on the issue of democracy? I hope you rethink
>your response and maybe try not to treat me as a troll when I really am not
>one.
>
>-Yonatan

Perhaps you should make these arguments to the folks running the Hebrew
Wikipedia? How about
posting articles about famous Hebrew porn stars? See if that flies.
Would be a good test of what you say.
I do respect the Hebrew Wikipedia stance on this topic and standing up
for their culture. I have to agree
with that community. You should take your arguments back there.

Ask nicely to be let back on and see where it goes.

:-)

Jeff