[Foundation-l] a new free image!

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 10:47:49 UTC 2007

> Barcex wrote:
>
> >Besides this proposal is not viable because having a "fair use" repository
> >does not seem to be "fair use" I have to note that the Spanish-language
> >Wikipedia been enforcing the "only free material" policy for at least two
> >years, and closed its local upload recently (about 7 months ago). So the
> >eswiki users asked "why en can use fair use pictures of, say, music albums
> >while they can't" before closing local upload.
> >
> Disabling local upload was entirely their choice, and they could reverse
> that policy whenever they want.  Why should they complain about en:wp
> allowing fair use when they are responsible for their own problem.

I applaud es.wp for its forward thinking and boldness in being
explicit and clear about only supporting truly free content. IMO they
should be held up as the model for other projects to follow, not
en.wp.

It would be nice for the Board to acknowledge such mature decisions,
just as it may occasionally slap on the wrist those communities that
don't pay enough attention to the  core principles (fr.wq, en.wb to
some extent)...

regards
Brianna
user:pfctdayelise