[Foundation-l] a new free image!

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Mar 1 08:50:07 UTC 2007

Barcex wrote:

>Besides this proposal is not viable because having a "fair use" repository
>does not seem to be "fair use" I have to note that the Spanish-language
>Wikipedia been enforcing the "only free material" policy for at least two
>years, and closed its local upload recently (about 7 months ago). So the
>eswiki users asked "why en can use fair use pictures of, say, music albums
>while they can't" before closing local upload.

Disabling local upload was entirely their choice, and they could reverse
that policy whenever they want.  Why should they complain about en:wp
allowing fair use when they are responsible for their own problem.  I
can understand why Commons does not want fair use images there.  They
don't provide any context for their pictures.

Ec