[Foundation-l] Wikimania 2008

Ilario Valdelli valdelli at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 16:49:50 UTC 2007

Looking to the previous year I cannot see this "critical mass" of
candidatures!

About the members of board you have the correct reading because if an
US, Dutch, German o French candidate will be chosen is natural that the
decision is not trasparent.

>> 1.Any member of the jury must NOT be involved in any way with the
>> bidding town.
>>

>> This isn't practical. There would be very few people who are able to
>> be involved if everyone from 20 or so countries that submit bids can
>> not be on the jury. The Board members are usually on the jury, so
>> you're implying that the US, France, the Netherlands, and Germany can
>> not even submit bids?

To have a transparent decision is better to have un-transparent members
(the names will be public after the decision). It seems a paradox but if
we need transparency it could be better to know also the vote of any
single member. Why in this case there is not problem of transparency?

>> 2.The name of any member of the jury must be secret until the final choice
>>

> I disagree with this. For transparency, everyone should know who is
> making the decision and how that decision is made.
>
> As a reminder, the draft Judging criteria are still at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania/Judging_criteria

Ilario